Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Invite Jesus to YOUR Pity Party

A friend of mine once said "next time you have a pity party, invite Jesus to it"!! Well, that definitely would put a quick end to a full blown pity party, wouldn't it??
I was recently in the middle of a good pity party, when Jesus showed up. I had not even invited Him, I'm ashamed to admit, but there He came anyway!!
Sometimes I think we kind of enjoy wallowing in that pity party. We want just a few more days of wallowing, and then maybe we will go ahead and invite Jesus. Can you relate??
My pity party was silly (they always are), but it came upon me without me even realizing it. I was in the midst of packing to move to a new home, and it was just not progressing like I needed it to. I was trying to juggle the normal routines of life, carry on some of my ministry tasks, and pack up an entire four bedroom home and all the other details that come with moving - all at the same time. It isn't that I don't like to accept help, but I couldn't figure out HOW anyone could be of help. So I started the pity party, saying things to myself like "we are not going to get enough help" and "this will be too much to do by ourselves" and the most shameful self-pitying one of all "I sacrifice my time every week, but will anyone sacrifice time when I am the one needing help?". OUCH, that one stings to even type here. The flesh is UGLY. And, I really didn't mean it the way it came out (yes, I even said it out loud to a good friend, who still loves me anyway!). The flesh is an essential ingredient for a very good pity party!
I went away for a weekend (a trip planned before I knew we'd be moving!), and when I came back, there He was. Jesus. He showed up. And that was the end of my pity party. I was immediately convicted, and repented of my lack of faith that God would provide for our needs.
How did Jesus show up? In the form of a group of several church friends with servants hearts, that's how. While I was gone, they SURPRISED me and had come to my new house and cleaned it top to bottom and everything shines! And they packed up many things in the old house and did some cleaning there, too. They moved the boxes that were ready to be moved, and placed them in the new garage. It saved us TONS of work this week and I do not know what we would have done if they had not stepped in and served my family like that. We felt so blessed, and very well loved!
I was quickly humbled, and am still overwhelmed with gratitude and a new outlook that totally wiped out my sinful pity party mindset.
I am so grateful that God's mercies are new every morning. And that He forgives me. And that Jesus shows up at pity parties, sometimes when invited and sometimes when not!
Mark 9:35b says ""If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all."
Lord, make me last, even if it means you need to crash my pity party!!!

No comments: