I've been collecting these notes from other blogs I read, and here and there. Thought I'd compile them and share with you --consider it a challenge to make 2010 a year of Bible reading for you!!!
Reasons for reading large portions of Scripture often:
1. If God made sure his words were recorded for us, why wouldn’t you want to read all of them numerous times?
2. Reading large portions of Scripture regularly slows you down so you can think about life from an eternal perspective.
3. In daily life, we are constantly bombarded with images, philosophies, thoughts, reasonings, and attractions from the world, our flesh, and the devil. We need large quantities of God’s thoughts, empowered by his Spirit, to resist them.
4. We trust our own thoughts too much.
5. Each time you read through the Bible, you are humbled as you realize how little you actually know and understand God’s Word.
6. Reading a lot of the Bible helps you more easily see how it all fits together.
Some facts about the Bible:
This is my Bible.
I am who it says I am. Matthew 5:16
I can do what it says I can do. Philippians 4:13
I am going where it says I will go. John 14:3
God’s Word is milk for my soul. 1 Peter 2:2
God’s Word is seed for my faith. Luke 8:11
God’s Word is light for my path. Psalm 119:105
God’s Word is power for my victory. Hebrews 4:12
God’s Word is freedom for my life. John 8:32
When I read God’s Word it brings me joy. Jeremiah 15:16
When I study God’s Word, it keeps me from shame. 2 Timothy 2:15
When I memorize God’s Word, it purifies my heart. Psalm 119:11
When I quote God’s Word, it defeats my enemies. Ephesians 6:10, 17
When I meditate on God’s Word, it brings me success. Joshua 1:8
When I abide in God’s Word, it gives me confidence. John 15:7
If you would like to read the Bible in chronological order, look at this website:
An idea for starting a journal:
Write down the things that you are anticipating that God might do in your life over the next year or so. Consider what your hearts desires are and what you think God is challenging you with, and come up with a list of expectations. Don’t write them down as a request but rather as an affirmation statement - as if there are already done.
Then write a prayer something like this “Please do these things Lord…..or do something better!”
When you reflect back on this journal in a year or later, you will see that God has done these things….or something better!!
God's Word is LIFE to us. Join me this year in reading it OFTEN!!!
Happy New Year!